Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Views on Why We Shouldn't Feel Required to Continue Helping Haiti

I try to avoid too many controversial issues on here, but I thought this was a good read (agree or not).

This is a hot button issue obviously, but I stumbled across this article by Paul Shirley about Haiti and why we shouldn't feel required to donate toward Haiti relief efforts. Although I do feel some of this is a little extreme, I think the entire argument is interesting and thought provoking. Especially at a time when our own country is in a downward spiral, we continue to feel like we must help (insert country here), after already send billions in aid to their corrupt government, yet we ourselves don't have the means.

This line really got me:
A Haitian woman, days after the earthquake:
“We need so much. Food, clothes, we need everything. I don’t know whose responsibility it is, but they need to give us something soon,” said Sophia Eltime, a mother of two who has been living under a bed sheet with seven members of her extended family.


Here is the article: If You Rebuild it, They Will come





No comments:

Post a Comment